Springbok team vs Ireland
November 6, 2012 in Uncategorized
It is ending up as a competition to see who can find the most able bodies as the injuries in the Bok and Irish camps run ravage.
Taking injuries into account My team would be:
15 Zane Kirchner: I do not rate him but Taute has not played FB in a while so not sure how wise it would be to rush him in. Zane is reliable but lacks flash. Maybe bring Taute on in the last 20 to see how he goes?
14 JP Pietersen: best 14 in SA.
13 Juan de Jong: Was in good form for WP has been on the fringes for a while now and I think he deserves his chance. But would not be unhappy to see Mapoe.
12. Jean de Villiers: Captain and if docs are to be believed will be fit by Sa. If not maybe JdJ should shift to 12 with Mapoe 13.
11.Luwazi Mvovo: He is big and strong something you need on those heavy pitches in Ireland. Hougaard was unimpressive at 11 in the RC and not sure these conditions suits him best.
10. Pat Lambie: HM says he will get his chance and I think it is fair to give Lambie a chance to start at 10. I would then have Jantjies on the bench because Morne isn’t an impact player.
9. Ruan Pienaar: He is used to NH conditions and is the best 9 we currently have.
8. Duane Vermeulen: Has been doing OK in test stealing some ball and carrying well. NH conditions should suit him. Although a lot of Bulls supporters would like Arno Botha starting
7. Willem Alberts: He was in good form for the Boks in RC. Again the heavy conditions should suit him.
6. Marcel Coetzee: Flo’s injury is a big blow. With Vermeulen only other player able to poach ball and he is a bit tall for a fetcher. Coetzee is more a 7/8 than a true 6 in the South African sense. There is an out side chance of Flo making it but I would not risk him.
5. Juandre Kruger: Has been a bit harshly treated by the Boks but then Bekker is 2.08 and hard to compete with. Again I would not mind if Franco starts but Kruger is the incumbent.
4. Eben Etzebeth: The best 4 in SA and maybe the world. (ok maybe not just yet)
3. Jannie du Plessis: Deff then best 3 in SA. Proved over and over again this season.
2. Adrian Struass: Had an good RC nothing out of the ordinary but solid. Chilliboy has had a quiet season since his injury.
1. Beast: Well he has had a bit of an quiet end to his season. Over played? But still the best 1 in the squad.
16: Schalk Britz: He is an real impact player. Would not mind Chilliboy because he also plays to the ball.
17. Par Cilliers: Under rated he was the only other 3 that could hold his own when Dr Jannie was of the field during the international season.
18. Gathro Steenkamp: If available not sure if he is injured or not. Otherwise old CJ will have to do.
19. Flip vd Merwe: he has had solid outings the last couple of tests. You might obt for another 5 but HM has always gone with an extra 4 this season.
20. Arno Botha: Not sure if he is ready for international duty but HM included him in the squad ahead of a lot of more experienced players so he should step up.
21. Francious Hougaard: covers SH and wing
22. Elton Jantjies: a specialist FH was the next inline and is a better impact option than Morne
23. Jaco Taute: I would give him his first game at FB from the bench. Say 20 -30 mins. But if HM wants to start him and bench Zane that will be fine too.
This team should be to much for Ireland who does not boast the depth of RSA. In essence we can handle multiple injuries they can’t.
But lets see what HM does he has been very surprising in most of his teams this season.
Update: Looks like Flo will be playing on Sa. Not sure how wise it is because on Monday he was still in discomfort. Maybe because he is the only real fetcher in the team he has to play??
And now it looks like HM will give Taute another run at 13 while he publicly stated that he wants him at FB? HM must not rate JdJ at all even though he dominated in the CC final.
HM proposed team: Zane, JP, Taute, JdV, Mvovo/Hougie, Pat, Ruan, Duane, Willem, Flo, Kruger, Eben, Dr,Strauss, Beast. according to SS.