Eyewitness News: Cooper was ready to walk away
I know there are lots of people who would be glad to see Quade leave the rugby scene but let’s be honest, he is a brilliant player that has the X factor. Love him or hate him I am glad he will be around for another couple of years.
CAPE TOWN – Australian fly-half Quade Cooper on Tuesday told Eyewitness News Sport he had made peace with the fact that his career in the rugby union appeared to be over just a week ago.
The star fly-half had turned down what he considered a derisory offer from the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and was considering other options, including a switch to league, before he signed a new and improved two-year deal last week to keep him in the sport.
He will also fight on the undercard of the Sonny Bill Williams-Francois Botha fight in February, as he looks to pursue a career in the ring.
Cooper said a week ago he was ready to walk away from the sport.
“I must say it was really close and I’m very happy that I’m now here for another two years.”