September 28, 2010 in Uncategorized
Blue Bulls – Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw, Bakkies Botha, Wynand Olivier, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies
Sharks – John Smit, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, JP Pietersen, Adi Jacobs
Western Province – Schalk Burger, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Ricky Januarie, Andries Bekker
Free State Cheetahs – Juan Smith, Heinrich Brüssow, CJ van der Linde
Above is a list of contracted Boks that was given a 4 or 5 week break. What’s so amazing is that I can’t even make a proper team (let alone a competitive one) with these Springboks. If you take out John & Victor (needing a longer rest), leave out Andries & FdP coz of injuries this is basically what you’re left with:
1. Tendai Mtawarira 2. Bismarck du Plessis 3. CJ van der Linde 4. Bakkies Botha 5. Danie Rossouw 6. Schalk Burger 7. Juan Smith 8. Pierre Spies 9. Ricky Januarie 10. Morne Steyn 11. Bryan Habana 12. Wynand Olivier 13. Adi Jacobs 14. JP Pietersen 15. Jaque Fourie
So lemme break it down..
As you can see we’ll basically be playing with two “traditional no.4” locks, an out of form 8, 9 & 11, a player playing above his level (Olivier) a player that I cant recall have touched a rugby ball this season (Adi) & a player playing out of his normal position (Fourie). I was tempted to move Juan to nr.8, Brüssow to 6 & Burger to 7 but felt that Juan really balanced the backrow when he played so I’l keep him there. And these guys better not get injured on the field coz we’ll only have Brüssow to replace anyone of them but I’m sure we can get a couple of players that can keep him company on the bench.
But let’s just keep that first 15 as they are and compare them to MY form players in the currie cup which are.
1. Pat Cilliers 2. Deon Fourie 3. WP Nel 4. Steven Sykes 5. Anton v Zyl 6. Pieter Louw 7. Ryan Kankowski 8.Duane Vermeulen 9. Francois Hougaard 10. Elton Jantjies 11.Bjorn Basson 12. Jean de Villiers 13. Juan de Jongh 14. Lwazi Mvovo 15. Hennie Deniller
Now I know there are people out there that are saying: “But what about??” So here we go again:
1. Coenie Oosthuizen 2. Adriaan Strauss 3. Brock Harris 4. Flip vd Merwe 5. Franco vd Merwe 6. Keagan Daniel 7. Willem Alberts 8. Ashley Johnson 9. Jano Vermaak 10. Pat Lambie 11. Gio Aplon 12. Droppies le Grange 13. Wallon Murray 14. Michael Kilian 15. Louis Ludik
16. Craig Burden 17. Brok Harris 18. Alistair Hargreaves 19. Francois Louw 20.Charl McLeod
21. Willem de Waal 22. Zane Kirchner
Now did I just name 37 players that can tour with the Boks tomorrow if asked n wont let themselves or the Boks down?? I think I just did..
AAAAAND there are still players like Guthro Steenkamp & Dewalt Potgieter (who isn’t playing CC for some reason) Jaques Botes, Gary Botha, Jongi Nokwe,Deon Stegman, Jaque-louis Potgieter, Dewalt Duvenage, Derick Kuün, Meyer Bosman, Conrad Jantjes, Riaan Viljoen, Chilliboy, Werner Kruger & Sarel Pretorius who can all play some good footy.
With ou Pietertjie staying on as head coach, I think he would steal a lot of Bok fans’ hearts if he’ll only tour with the contracted Boks that hasn’t played a lot of rugby (Super rugby, incoming tests & tri nations) like Juan, Bakkies, Brüssow, Beast, Bismark, CJ & JP and the rest of the squad can be made up of some of the players I mentioned above..
My Bok team for Ireland would look something like this:
- Anton v Zyl
- Brüssow (if not – Francois Louw)
- Juan Smith (capt)
- Frans Steyn
- Bjorn Basson
- Gio Aplon
- Guthro (if not Jannie du Plessis)
- Flip vd Merwe
- Jano Vermaak
- Elton Jantjies / Pat Lambie
- Zane Kirchner (last chance for you boytjie..)